quarta-feira, 8 de julho de 2009

# 12 - The BIG Mistake

Starbucks, Kelowna
Wednesday, the 13th of May, 09

Day 20

This was defintely a bad idea. I mena the Penticton-Kelowna-Vernon thing. This is my last day in small boring horrible Kelowna. (...)

[In Penticton] I took a bus to Kelowna. This lovely little girl started to cry like apig being slaughtered! And the mother seemed to pretty much ignore it as a way to cope. My ears didn't cope so well. At that point I just myself - what is wrong with Canadian children? [ this was motivated by previous yelling sessions of children in public transport] Then, aftre a quite picturesque 1 and a half hour ride along the okanagan lake, we entered Kelowna. Malls, shops and a bus station ridiculously far away from the city center. Only way back: taxi (or 2 very dubious buses). Goobye 15 dollars! But at least I was at the hostel I was supposed to be at. i checked in, got indications about how to get downtown ( basically, accross the street) and I went to check it out.

It just seemed like a Western-movie village industrialized, it did. Kelowna is small as hell. I want to punch the person (who the hell was it???) tha told me it was a big city with loads to do. It isn't. There is a lot to do but not within walking distance!!! i have never felt this frustrated in my life because of not knowing how to drive. Oh, if I could drive: I would be out of this place!!

Kelowna is fullof sketchy looking characters and it doesn't feel half as pleasant as Penticton. The walk by the lake is pretty but not extraordinary. The Orchards and Wine museums are small room, empty of people, with closed doors, hard to even notice [yes I went there, to look at DDT packs from the 20's ]. The buildings all look and are from the 50's/60's, with veyr little charm, straight lines and dark bricks. Teenargers here all look like they get high 10 times a day or something and try to be cool very desperatly. It is small-town-syndrome. (...)

Yesterday was a really really bad day. I panicked at the fact that I was alone, bored and didn't know where I'd be staying in Vernon. i sent some 576 desperate couchsurfing requests. I don't think they will work. So I booked a hotel which will cost me a lot of money. On the bright side, I will have a TV. Vernon will probably be like Kelowna. surrounded by beautiful parks only acessible by car. Oh, supreme frustration! I called home like 2 times, missed everyone, missed people in Vancouver. Oh, dreadful. I stayed in my empty room (no one else checked in) and read most of the day. It kept me distracted. But, hey , cheer up!! After today is only 2 more days to Nelson, which seems very promising. And Banff is only one day. I don't think it can go very wrong. (...) I don't mind the long hours travelling. It is my favourite part. i love the landscape and it feels like I am actually seeing something. (...) It was quite arrogant of me, the 18 year old girl who can't drive, to think I could do this and it would all go smoothly. At least I got my books to entertain me.

But hey, Filipa! You're seeing Canada! The good and the bad! And, okay, you made some planning mistakes, but you couldn't have known the extent to which Canada is ****** up! (Yeah, swearing always makes it better, doesn't it?)

And hey, at leats I slept a lot! Great not having to think about school. And in about 2 weeks I'll be home! And is nothing to bad to read and take my time. Yesterday was just a bad day. Fair enough. It happens. (...) It will be just fine.
(...)

Filipa

P.S. When I booked the hostel in Vernon (by phone) I had to insit with the operator that I did not want the 20$ in gas or car rent 'cause I DIDN?T DRIVE. Apparently that is an alien concept to her.

Sem comentários: