quarta-feira, 30 de julho de 2008

The first time I saw snow

I had written a huge post about Politics and my frustration about it. Long and deep. And I read it and I deleted it, two seconds ago. Because I am tired of complaining. What I want to say is not that, not just complaints. I want to talk about little miracles of life. Like the ones from yesterday.

Yesterday, I saw the old pictures of the picture box I have in my house. I saw pictures of me as a baby, as an infant and as a child. I saw pictures of my parents and of their friends. And I wondered: isn't anythig more magic than discovering what went on before you remember?

My parents had this very interesting life before, many friends and many dinners at our place. I saw this picture where they are walking with some friends in some kind of vast field, somewhere South, it seemed, They have funny clothes, all of them, and they look very different. Those were in a dusty envelope in the bottom of the box. There was one picture of my great-great-great grandparents. I think it is the only one from them. Then, there was a little pack of postacards. I opened it and saw my name.

Someone wrote me postcards and letters rom 90 to 93, from all over Europe. Belgium, Warsaw, Budapest, Berlin... All for me, when I was a baby. They were from a friend of my parents, a really nice one, she lives South in a farm she rebuild. My favourite was from Warsaw. It was a picture she had taken from her window. It showed a big concrete Soviet looking neighbourhood covered with snow. On the back she said:

"My building is like the other ones you see in front. There is snow on the ground. See the snow Filipa, isn't it beautiful?"

I thought my first snowy sight was 2 years ago in Norway. Now I know. The first time I saw snow was in Warsaw in 1992.

Sem comentários: