segunda-feira, 20 de outubro de 2008

Black and White - on old School cinema

I was here knitting and thinking about the movie I saw last night - " A street Car Named Desire".

I watched (rather accidentaly) a "Walk to Remember" and got so sick (physically, mentally, spiritually) by the Nicholas Sparks distinct mark of lack of quality.... I was laughing at the most tragic moments, I skiped like 20 minutes simply because they were too dull.

So, I need to watch something of sublime quality to compensate. And there we go. You get a good play by Tenesse Williams, a superb director like Elia Kazan and you add Vivian Leigh's old school charm and Brando's classical quality. Perfect, perfect, perfect. Life should be directed by Kazan... With Brando or Dean or Newman going around...

There is a dramatism, an irreal, yet very human, dramatism to the whole thing that makes it magically vibrating, exhilarating, you run out of breath from watching those scenes! Those 50's movies... "The Wild One" , "East of Eden", so many others... No special effects, just acting, a lot of good shots and a good story. At that point, if a book was made into a movie it didn't almost automatically mean it was going to be ruined.

Besides, watching movies in those days is something I would kill for. No laptops, no popcorn commercial cinema places. Small leather seats, a big attentive audience, images striking the big screen like lightning.

I miss it.

Sem comentários: