domingo, 17 de janeiro de 2010

Bring back the Spice Girls




So, let us skip over Christmas, NEw Years and all that.

Over the last weeks I have gathered a number of concerns. Here they come then.

First, PLEASE bring back the Spice Girls. Let me contextualize the claim.

Some weeks ago I came accross a channel airing "Hannah Montana", the show. After 3 minutes I felt itchy all over and had a small "ihhhhhh" sound on my head. It was that annoying. Then, after some days I get "Party in the USA" the viodeclip, thrown at me on another channel. That is when I decided to by the vintage radio that is now my company and joy. Back to topic, I had a chance to share a couple of days of the holiday celebration with a lovely little girl that I've known for a while. She is quite bright. I thaught her how to knit and told her about Charles Darwin and the theory of natural selection. You can imagine my surprise when she tells me how Hannah Montana is her idol, the highest exponent of her world, values, wishes and desires.

Troubled I cmae home and asked myself (and my mom, who has a better memory) what silly pop songs did I like when I was 6. One answer: the Spice Girls. We loved them back then. The ice-breaker in kindergarden was: "Which of the Spice Girls would you like to be?". Time for a comparative study. I watched numerous videoclips, listened to interviews, etc. Then I put "Party in the USA" on. Seriously: bring back the Spice Girls!!!

1 - They had awesome clothes, outrageous, creative. The platform shoes.... We dreamed of those shoes! This other character/person dresses like she is either going to the super maket, or she is going to work at some dubious bar where old truck drivers stare at the waitresses.

2- Her dad! Always everywhere ... it is weird, and disturbing. The Spice Girls were those independent grown up people.

3- The Spice Girls didn't just sing on stage, they shocked, they challenged, they were loud, they were eccentric, they were theatrical . Myley Cryus is boring and the example of american teen conformity....

4- The Spice Girls were sexy and they were old enough to drink. They had short skirts and thight outfits and they were totally in charge of what was going on. This other comtemporary pseudo-star is so little, fragile, YOUNG, and slutty.

5 - Spice Girls imagine = "girl power", friendship, originality, different personalities (their alter-egos were the embodiment of that diversity). Hannah Montana: mid west America, being nice, friendly, "dreams can come true"... give a break.

6 - the ultimate argument: what kind of name is Hannah Montana???????


So, please, bring back the SPICE GIRLS, so that this new generation of little girls can look up to some slightly more interesting pop singers.

And, by the way, Geri was my favourite.

Sem comentários: