quinta-feira, 26 de novembro de 2009

I am as old as Lucy Harmon

I have been 19 for almost a week.
I got my pride back, had champagne and baked a cake. Went to see art galleries with friends through the rainy Vancouverite afternoon/night (hard to say when one ends and the other starts). I am drowning in essays. I will barely make, but I will.... Oh, sweet 19.



I rewatched "Stealing Beauty" by Bertolucci. Was it because I was upset about the never ending rain? Or was it Lucy Harmon. I am as old as Lucy Harmon.... what does that say about life? Irony? Pherhaps...

Lucy Harmon is my favourite 19 year old character. She comes to Italy, to spend some time on her dead mother's friends' place. The rest... just watch the movie... I find it a great performance by Liv Tyler.

And she is so complex, so bright and young and yet so dark in many ways. She is not innocent, but she is confused. Yet she knows clearly what she wants. And, the best part, she is searching exactly for what no one suspects she wants. That is pherhaps her most curious aspect. Everyone has their expectations of what her 19 year old American self should be like, and secretely she pursues such a different line of thought. It is that wonderful miracle that is called the private life of the mind... so, mysterious and fascinating.

Oh, being 19. The last teen. Not that that ever really mattered. But now I am as old as Lucy Harmon.



Sem comentários: