sábado, 13 de junho de 2009

"This was the Summer of '09"- The start

Seattle, King Street Amtrak Station
Friday, the 24th April 2009
4:00PM

DAY 1


USA. The united States of America? Still does not sound right... The USA are not just a distant myth but the land I step on ..now! Takes getting used to. Reality.

(...)

After moving in from residence with all the stress and effort involved, I went to stay at my aunt's place. It was sort of relaxing, kind of "deep breath before the plunge". i still asked my mother on the phone if everything was goign to be alright. Not to self: make sure to increase level of confidence.

(...)

This morning I took the Skytrain to Main Street to catch the bus which took me to Seattle. A huge man sat beside me and kept starting to fall asleep, waking up startled right after. he explained to me he had 3 jobs and loads of kids (?) at home, that he had only slept only 3 hours in the last 2 nights, etc. yep, life is though... "Do you have kids?", he asked, after asking me if i was going to work too and obtaining an embarassed negative answer. "No". "Oh, you'll have 2!. I beg your pardon?? "You'll have 2 kids, i cna see your future." Great, I thought, how encouraging.

(...)

Things I noticed on the highway aftre the border:
-loads of Americna flags
-the kid I saw by the road just a couple of minutes aftre the border
-loads of lanes and traffic getting into Seattle

(...)

We arrived earlier than predicted over here, so I took a 20 min walk. (...) A lot of not very friendly looking characters... One guy with his girl-friend just went "Watch where you're goign, lady!" and then turned (10 seconds after) and appologised for sounding mean. I handled it with poise and grace. But Seattle looks very pretty, prettier than Vancouver, with brick squares and guardens.

TRAIN 8PM

Less than an hour to Portland. I am still in Washington. I have been seeing the forests and swamps out of the window. I saw a tree with half pink and half white flowers. I also saw my first (very) obese Americans. I saw young guys by the bars in the small towns. And I am imagining what it must be like to live here, in a smal place in Washington, USA. Don't take me worng, the place is beautiful. But these little townss seem to have such a bleak existence by the side of the rails. Maybe they just look bleak.

I look out, at the road. and I see 4 pickup trucks at the same time.
HELLO AMERICA!

Filipa


Sem comentários: